Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Brain Babble...

I have kept this blog open but haven't written on it for a while.  I thought that I would have time and would have interesting things to write about, indeed I do but it is the time factor that has me on the run.  

The class I'm taking now on Globalization has me wondering on many things, food security for one, especially with this economic break down happening- News flash for me- according to my Professor, it will take minimum 12 years to get back on our feet and it is the end of capitalism as we know it! I think he almost fell through the floor when I told him the economy will bounce back! (You know when you open your mouth and words just pop out before you can stop them? well, I could feel them leaving my mouth but had no control on what I said--- Silly me!! )  How can we improve the global economy and how can we affect it in a way that will help us along the road (within these 12 years).  Are the poor being affected like the rich?  According to my Prof.  there will be an increase of homelessness and sucides.  Something to look forward too, eh?  How can we change this?

My desires for MA are to study food and everything about it.  After taking  a class  on Anthropology of food I realized what it was I wanted to do. I have a few ideas rattling around in this little head of mine but need to focus them more and concentrate on how to do it.

I need input and ideas!  I need to read more and find the TIME!  Which is another aspect of food that I find interesting- Time and Food.  They are related in so many ways- the quality of time, the lenghth and aspect of it all can be related to how food is prepared, eaten and shared... Does this make sense? It does in my mind.


As classes start to pick up again with finals I find myself wondering what to do after I'm done in April...  Postpone my graduation to raise my GPA and apply for a MA in Feb of 2010 or do I graduate and look for a job?  I find myself at odds with this and am having a hard time deciding.
I feel a sense of calmness when I'm at the department at school and am not sure that this is what is driving me to stay where I am?  How will I help society with my views and thoughts?  Can I? ohhh la la!

My brain is mush now!!! Until next time!  Feel free to comment- please!


2 comments:

Hefel said...

What's this stuff about postponing graduation? You sounded so thrilled about being done with this school thing...

As far as your new subject matter - food - I think it's a great idea. It's one of the few common links existing between all the past and current civilizations.

And I do believe your prof. is right when he states this is the end of Capitalism as we've known (and enjoyed) it. I don't think it's gonna take as long as 12 years to recover of it, though. More likely 4-8. In the meantime, rise in homelessness and suicides is a sure outcome.

Always a pleasure to read you!!

Joshua B. Treadway said...

As classes start to pick up again with finals I find myself wondering what to do after I'm done in April... Postpone my graduation to raise my GPA and apply for a MA in Feb of 2010 or do I graduate and look for a job?

You already have an idea what you want your thesis topic to be about right? Look for departments that have somebody active in area of interest. You might find that that some aren't really that concerned about your gpa. Also you can apply now and see what they say and decide to postpone later. Master's only programs are usually easier to get into than PH.d programs but it is usually more difficult for a master's student to get into a ph.d program. Joshua -usemasper